Wednesday, February 2, 2011

ICE of 2011 - Gotta' love that crazy Texas weather!


Here in Texas we don't usually have a tough winter. It will get cold for a little while...then before you know it Spring is here:-) That is one of the reasons I LOVE Texas! I am NOT a winter person. I have lived here for going on 15 years and haven't yet seen a bad winter. Well....this year might just be the one. It's not that we got a lot of snow or anything....but we got ICE! Two days ago we had a huge winter storm come in throughout the middle of the night. It woke me and Joel up around 4am and I am not sure I really ever went back to sleep before getting up. It was thundering and lightning like crazy...but instead of rain it was sleeting loud....windy...banging up a against the windows! It was a little creepy I must say. Then we got up around 6 and everything was covered in about an inch or two of ice. This is a picture of my back yard. Doesn't look that bad does it? That's what I thought too.....

Here we are two days later....and there is still 1-2 inches of ice on everything. All of the school are going on their 3rd day of NO SCHOOL. That is UNHEARD of in TX. I have NEVER seen Thomas's school close for more then a day EVER! Because if the ice a big power plant had to shut part of the plant down which has called for mandatory black outs throughout the state. So not only are people stuck in their homes....a lot of them have no heat. The last week we have hit record low temps in Texas. It's been 15 years since the temps have been this low.....8 degrees tonight...and windy. Since the temp isn't expected to rise above freezing until Sat.....everything will probably stay shut down until then.

Luckily I work from home part time...so this week I have just worked from home all week. It hasn't been much different for me other than having my husband and son home with me. Thomas is having blast being out of school...Joel...not so much. He gets stir crazy very quickly. He is dying to go back to work and luckily they are letting him tomorrow.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the SUPER BOWL is this Sunday in Dallas! All of the people trying to get to Dallas this week are stuck...they can't fly in because of the ice.

Let's just say it's been a crazy week. I know that people up north will laugh at this post....but for us Texans....this is some wild stuff going on!!

I am looking forward to winter being over and taking a dip in my nice sparkling pool this summer!!!!!

No comments: