Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back to School for me!!!

It's been many years since I attempted college. I was 18 and Thomas was 1 year old. I had a great opportunity in front of me...and I wasted it! I lived with my Mom and Sir (step-dad) in Texas. Mom helped me out with Thomas so that I could attend school, get an education and be able to take care of Thomas on my own one day. I really liked school at first, and did well in my classes. Most of them were developmental classes...but hey, you have to start somewhere right?? After a few semesters of school, I decided that working was better for me. I wanted to get out on my own and I just knew I could do it without going to school. Well, I can do it on my own without school, but have many struggles and am not able to do it the way I would like. So....here I am 15 years later...after MANY ups and downs....highs and lows. I am ready to take the plunge again:) You are NEVER too old to go back to school and get an education.

I am about to start my 3rd semester of school and I am enjoying more now than I ever did before. I have different goals and a totally different outlook on life. It's still hard work, but I can see the outcome more clearly now than I did when I was 18.

I have wanted to work in the medical field since I can remember:-) Sir took me to his work when I was about 10 years old and showed me a dead head. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and knew then that I would end up in this field of work.

There are SOOOO many areas of the medical field that it was hard for me to choose which direction I wanted to go. I decided to go with nursing because it seems to have the most flexibility. You can work as a nurse in so many different areas...on the floor...in a school....administrative...etc. Another area of interest for me is counseling..therapy...juvenile counseling..etc... In nursing I will be able to have the best of both worlds and will really enjoy what I do.

I am sure there will be more bumps along the road ahead of me...but I am ready for the challenge this time! I have a lot of life left to live and I am going to enjoy it! I want to travel all over the world with Thomas. I want to live out in the country...with a garden...and a wrap around porch. I want to take cooking classes and have get togethers all the time with friends and family. And guess what??? I am going to have all of it!!! The simple life....doesn't get much better!

No comments: