Thursday, January 5, 2012

Burned - by Ellen Hopkins


Burned:


It's amazing that the second time you read something it seems so different. I read this book a while back...it didn't interest me at all and I never finished it. I picked it back up last week and can't put it down.


The last time I tried to read it I had just finished her books, Glass and Crank. They are both very intense and about drug addiction. I think trying to read this one after those two was a mistake. It's not as intense...and didn't "get" me like the others did....but now that I have waited...and am at a different place in my life I am really enjoying this book.


Synopsis:
It all started with a dream. Nothing exceptional, just a typical fantasy about a boy, the kind of dream that most teen girls experience. But Pattyn Von Stratten is not like most teen girls. Raised in a religious - yet abusive - family, a simple dream may not be exactly a sin, but it could be the first step toward hell and eternal damnation.This dream is a first step for Pattyn. But is it to hell or to a better life? For the first time Pattyn starts asking questions. Questions seemingly without answers - about God, a woman's role, sex, love -- mostly love. What is it? Where is it? Will she ever experience it? Is she deserving of it?

No comments: